If you’re thinking about how to turn all that hard work on your blog into revenue then you’re not alone. More and more people are learning how to make money blogging. If you’ve done a bit of research you’ll probably have found that the range of blog monetization options out there is pretty mind-blowing so how do you select the right approach for you and your community?
We’ve spent a lot of time researching the array of different monetization tools and resources. To help us develop Vidlinkr – Coull’s video monetization tool - we talked to bloggers from around the world about what was important to them.
Here are the five things that bloggers tell us matter most:
1. Earning potential – how much can I earn from this approach? It has to be worth your while so check out stories of real people who have benefitted this way. Is it pocket money or the potential to make blogging into a full time living? Watch out for options with a high threshold for payment. Some methods only pay up once say a $100 threshold is reached. With some approaches this can take for smaller bloggers to achieve so make sure you’re not going to waste your time.
2. Control – will I retain control of my blog? Control is a big one in the blogosphere. Your content and your audience are everything and you’ll probably want to protect them at all costs. Ask whether the option you are considering lets you keep a firm hand on the tiller. You don’t want any nasty surprises on your blog.
3. Relevance – how relevant is this option to my audience? Again – very important to the majority of bloggers. Most people don’t want to litter their site with totally irrelevant and irritating adverts and lose the trust of the community they’ve worked so hard to build up. Ask yourself, is this a good match for my content?
4. Look and feel – does it compromise their user experience and the look and feel of my blog? How much blog real estate will this approach take up? Will it compromise your content or the design of your site?
5. Ease of use – how long will it take me to set up and manage? Blogging is time consuming enough, especially when you’re trying to fit this around a day job. Before you jump in, make sure you understand exactly how much time the monetization method you are looking at going to take up.
So when you’re selecting a monetization method, bear these 5 things in mind. At the end of the day the key question is – will this approach ADD VALUE to both you and your audience?
- Download the latest Coull guide to help you wade through the money making mire: 8 ways to make money from your blog – we’ve rated each monetization method, ranking them on the five areas of focus we talk about in this post.